First of all, you should know there are all sorts of arguments about how Jesus rose from the dead on a Saturday or a completely different time of year. There are entire religions full of people who don’t believe Jesus rose from the dead at all. But that’s not what we’re talking about. We’re talking about who we celebrate on Easter and why we celebrate Him. You came for one sentence. Here it goes.
We celebrate Easter to worship our eternally perfect God who separated Himself from every other deity by choosing to give up His own rights and life to restore and save the rights and lives of His creation.
Read that again. There is only one God who gives up what He deserves to give His creation what they don’t. That’s our God. He’s why we celebrate Easter. Maybe you’re not a one-sentence type of person. Here are 15 more reasons why we celebrate Easter.
- Because Easter represents the moment God’s only Son, Jesus, took on your death sentence, served the term, and called it finished! John 17:4, John 19:30
- Because Jesus took on the ugliest, darkest evils of the world through the most painful death in separation from His Father, just in case you would decide to believe in Him 2,000 years later. 1 Peter 2:24
- Because I thought I was smart enough, good enough, caring enough, and strong enough to be a father, son, husband, employee, brother, and caretaker of our planet—but I (and you) constantly fall short. Romans 3:23
- Because the sting of our failure to perfectly follow God’s laws was swallowed up by the victory of Christ’s empty tomb. Isaiah 25:8, 1 Corinthians 15:54-56
- Because our God carried out His plan to give up what He deserved to give us back what we never earned—and deserved to lose. John 3:16
- Because without Easter our savior is dead in a grave, but with Him, our human failings are dead in His grave. 1 Corinthians 15:17
- Because Jesus Himself said it was the day He’d be glorified. John 12:23-25
- Because when we find our lives at a dark, dead end, Jesus has already been there, and He’s gone ahead of us to make another way. Mark 16:6
- Because we killed our God who came to earth as a perfect man three days before His perfect Father, our creator, raised Him back to life. Luke 24:7
- Because the same power that quaked the earth, that stole death from hell and made it life, that the rolled away the stone, that pushed back darkness is alive to do God’s work in our hearts today. Acts 4:33
- Because we need to remember that nothing amazing happens without sacrifice. Romans 5:8
- Because this one day sums up the reason God left heaven to enter His immeasurable creation as a tiny, crying human. Romans 14:9
- Because Jesus is the hope of the world, but He’s also the hope of my world. Matthew 12:20-21
- Because we killed the author of life, but God used Jesus’ death to give our story a happy ending. Acts 3:15
- Why do we celebrate Easter? Because Jesus. 1 John 4:19